Sunday, March 20, 2005

Do I Really Need That Part 2, Scratch Resistant & UV Coating

Hello again ,
Welcome to “Do I Really Need That Part 2 “ Lets get right to it!

Do I need scratch resistant coating?.... Yes!
In my opinion everybody needs scratch resistant coating because no one cleans his or her glasses properly. Some people take better care than others of their lenses, but everyone at one time or another cleans them with their shirttail or their skirt, and that's when they get scratched.

Let me clear something up for a lot of you while we are talking about Scratch coat.
There are those that think because they paid extra and got the Scratch coat, their lenses won’t scratch…. WRONG!
Scratch Resistant means MORE RESISTANT to scratches, Not SCRATCH PROOF!
Now some places sell scratch warrantees, so when they scratch you can get new lenses,
But most of the time that is pretty expensive, and people are so busy now days they never
Get around to changing their lenses until they are ready for a new prescription so
They never use the service they paid for, at least that is what most places are counting on.

Most places charge extra for scratch resistance, but unless they just want a crazy amount for it, it is worth it to everyone to have. If they want too much for it, then you’re buying your Glasses from the wrong place anyway!

Do I Need UV 400 protection?
On your Sunglasses Defenatly Yes, on clear lenses? , It doesn’t hurt but not totally necessary.
Some Optical professionals will disagree with me, but think about it, people who don’t wear glasses do not have any UV protection and they are not suffering because of it.
BUT …when wearing Sunglasses or a tinted lens the tint makes your pupil dilate
Which lets in more UV, so that is when UV is necessary.
When wearing clear lenses or no lenses your pupil constricts letting in less UV.
So when deciding if you want to get it in your clear lenses it is back to “HOW MUCH”
Extra is it?

You see Gang, you sometimes have to be careful when shopping for glasses because some places, especially so-called discount places use the old ( Bait & Switch ) to jack up the price of their discount eyewear.
Anybody ever see this happen? ….. You see an ad for Complete pair of glasses
Frame and lenses $39.95 , which is usually a Cheap frame with Bare bones lenses.
Then they charge you $60.00 for a Scratch Coating and UV, so those $39.95 glasses
End up costing you $99.95 + Tax

So Buyer’s beware, educate yourself and shop around, know what you are buying.
That is the point of this Blog! , To help educate the Consumers.

Now It is time for my Shameless Plug!
It just so happens that one of my slogans is:
“No Gimmicks – Just Savings”
I am a one-man operation, so I don’t have time to haggle over price.
So to keep from having to discuss whether it is worth the extra or not for Scratch coat
I just give Free Scratch Coating on ever pair of lenses I sell.
(I know what you are thinking) No, I didn’t raise my price to force every one to buy it.
That is another thing some places do.
I charge $42.00 dollars for a Pair of single vision lenses, That includes Scratch Resistant & UV 400 protection!
That’s enough Shameless Plugging for this session.

As always please post any question you might have, or subjects you would like to know about . I hope you can visit my Blog and it helps you to become an educated consumer.

See’ya next time

Ben Ramsey…..aka Mobile Eye Guy

www.MobileEyeGuy.com

23 comments:

  1. yea but that's semantics and advertisers/manufacturers use that to their advantage. usually when one thinks that something is resistant to something else, one expects that. in other words--semantics. "resistant to cancer" for example, reassures one beyond the norm. and so it's just semantics. they ought to have a disclaimer--along the lines of what you wrote. "scratch resistant is NOT scratch-proof."

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's actually a survey out today that states that 62% of all cancer deaths are completely preventable. Here's just one example.

    -Steve
    Games are for Children

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cosco sells Bausch & Lomb Sight Savers, Pre-moistened Lens Cleaning Tissues, in the 100 count box...

    My personal opinion on them:
    These things work really good!

    Yahoon! Weblog

    ReplyDelete
  4. If people just bought glass lenses they wouldn't need to get scratch resistant coatings. It's amazing how the optical industry has brainwashed people into thinking that they need plastic lenses and then they tell them to get the lenes coated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are absolutely Right Dr. Forbush!

    You have just given me another subject for my blog.

    But do you know why most everyone is pushing plastic lenses?....I can tell you in one word,

    LAWYERS

    In the US we are so Sue Happy that is why people avoid glass, & here is what is even worse, ( I get a lot of flack from people in my Biz for telling this)

    Glass Lenses gives you 20% better visual acuity!

    I'll save the rest for another post.

    Thanks for visiting
    Ben...aka MobileEyeGuy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the advice about the glasses. It'll be very helpful when I buy my next pair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Correct. I am very busy and I don't usually care about my glassses much. I jsut wipe em on my sweater...that's not good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Error with blog.
    http://shuaibao.blogsome.com/

    As I was saying....costco actually sells really good bosch lomb sight savers and such....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very useful information. My eyes are sensitive to light, mainly outside though,when its really sunny out. and wearing the photogrey helps. Also glare from headlights at night, and glare from snow. Im not sure if completely clear is right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Number 1,

    I am writing right now the next blog....It is going to be about different lens materials, Plastic VS Glass ect.

    The next one is going to be about Anti Reflective coating, come back and visit...It may interest you.

    Ant Reflective coating will help with your Glare Problem at night, and you can also put it on your Photogrey lenses.

    Thanks for visiting my blog

    Ben...aka MobileEyeGuy

    ReplyDelete
  11. update your blog, my good man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very informative blog. I learned a lot that I was not aware of. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Informative, but you need to update

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is how "definitely" is spelled.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WELL...Thank you!
    14 people respond to my blog in a positive way, but then one ass hole demarcate from the mid west feels the need to play Mr. Internet spell check!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found your site on Blog Explosion and I wanted to mention that it's a fantastic site.

    This is a great resource and I'll be sending my friends here for info.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to your next update! I've bookmarked your e-commerce site and will be back when it's time for new glasses (which is right now, but as you said, people are too busy these days).

    I wish you would make road trips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to work in the eyeglass industry for 9 years.

    They rip people off sorry for the pun blind.

    An average frame can be purchased for about $7 and then sold for over $400. Same goes for lenses. One rip off after another.

    The only lenses that are worth the money and can back up their product is Zeiss and Nikon. All others are the same.

    The reasons above are why I finally left. I felt to guilty about the company I worked for ripping people off.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Saw your Blog on BlogExplosion. Loved your article. Ty for saying what needed to be said. Take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the scratch resistant coating I have on my glasses. As a preschool teacher, my glasses get smudged with those chubby little fingers all the time--so I usually use my shirt to clean em off.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is useful considering I need a new pair of glasses. Actually, I prefer contacts, but I need a new pair of those as well, and the insurance won't cover the cost of the exam. Ridiculous. The insurance will pay for the lenses, will pay for the regular eye exam, and will pay for the glasses, but it won't pay for the measurement for contacts. Why is it a separate charge, anyway? Why isn't it just part of the exam? Not fair.

    ReplyDelete