Saturday, October 13, 2007

Glass prescription lens

Can I still get a glass lens?
Are prescription glass lenses still available?
I hear this all the time, and the answer is YES.

It is amazing to me how many people that end up coming to me as customers have been somewhere else before they found me and were told “you can’t get glass lenses any more”, or “ they don’t make glass lenses anymore” especially those looking for prescription GLASS Safety glasses.

What they should really be told is “ we don’t sell glass lenses here anymore” but glass lenses are still available.

You see , we have become such a leagalistic society that most of the Dr.’s and eyewear shops are afraid of being sued, so they spear head everyone toward Poly Carbonate lenses, or Plastic, but stay clear of glass.

Not that I am fearless, it is just that, in some cases, glass lenses are still the best choice for some people. And I feel like why fight them if that is what they want.

So for those of you that are wondering, or have been told other wise, Glass Lenses are still available for those who still want them.

I wrote an article a couple years ago right here on this Blog about Plastic vs. Glass vs. poly, if you would like to read it click here:
http://mobileeyeguy.blogspot.com/2005/08/plastic-vs-polycarbonate-vs-glass.html

Thanks for stopping by….see’ya next time

Ben…aka MobileEyeGuy
www.mobileeyeguy.com

4 comments:

  1. I still have normal glass for my glasses I wear at home.
    They won't get scratched as easy, well, that's what I think.

    You're right. Information should be right.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glass lenses are much clearer in my honest opinion.

    Eye Pieces of Vail

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, Glass is more comfortable, suitable, and clearer. The correct lens is imperative in selecting your protection eyewear. They are there for a purpose and therefore must suit your requirements, over and above your liking predilection. In preceding years, a pair of eyeglasses may perhaps provide either vision correction or eye protection merely, however, not in cooperation.
    Due to technical development, they possibly will at the present supply the double-function. The majority of safety glasses that may be found today are made of plasticPlastic lenses reduce the risk of breakage actually whereas glass cracks or breaks more easily, a frequent issue in glass lenses. Plastic lenses also weigh less than glass lenses so they ease pressure on the nose. For these reasons, more people prefer to have their eyeglasses made with plastic lenses than with glass lenses. Unlike me.

    -Kalib

    ReplyDelete
  4. In fact, I wanted to get glass lenses, but I was told they are not available anymore, but recently I realized it is still possible

    ReplyDelete